I have posted two more documents in the week five files. One is two reviews of an ebook only romantic suspense novel, one from a blog and one from amazon. Look over the reviews - do you feel they are both reliable? How likely would you be to buy this book for your library? Looking over the romantic suspense novel reviews, I think they are both good and bad for different reasons. The Amazon interview has a brief synopsis and some descriptions of how the book is written but it is entirely positive (I tend to not trust these kinds of reviews for a book’s quality, maybe that’s just me?). The blog review was not professionally written nor did it have any literary criticism to impart, but it was honest, and it sounds like a review from someone who read the book and is talking to someone else about it frankly and informally, without a stake in the book or the writing of the review. If it seems like something my patron base would be interested in, sure! I would buy it f...
I love the layout of your annotations! :) Your synopsis is well written and very spoiler-free, which is great. I like that you've included the "scope for imagination" section so that people can see where other genres might fit in so they can see if they might want to give it a try even if they might not typically gravitate toward mystery. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I modified a Pages template to suit my needs. I have been recommended this series by several people who came from different genre fandoms so the blending of genres made total sense to me. I wish I'd liked it more! I didn't find it very much of a mystery; it seemed very much to me as if a romance novel had dressed up with a deer-stalker and pipe.
DeleteHi Rivkah,
ReplyDeleteYou picked a series that I have followed for several years. Two of your read-alikes are parts of other series that I also have read: Spencer-Fleming's Rev. Claire Fergusson and MacNeal's Maggie Hope. I have not read Anita Shreve's books, but now I think I will try them. The terms you chose to describe this title are the reasons I enjoy each of these series. I also find the protagonists to be finely drawn and appealing women. Their occupations give them unusual skills and perspectives for solving mysteries.
I like your presentation, too. It has the look of a period mystery!
Hi! I'm so glad the read-alikes struck a chord; I used NoveList and Amazon (forgot to reference them, tho! oops!!!). I am glad I was accurate in my descriptors for someone who loved the book. Also, Courier ftw
DeleteGreat layout! Mystery is a genre that I just started reading in the last year. I am always looking for a new series to start! I really appreciate the details you provide without spoiling the story. The attention to detail that she uses and knowing that her current mystery to solve is not so black and white! I will add this to my "to read" list! Thank you for such a great summary~
ReplyDeleteThanks! It is a modified Pages template. If you are fond of romance, I can easily recommend this novel!
DeleteExcellent summary and layout! Your readalikes are on point and liked your cum laude section. Keep it up! Full points!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I forgot to reference NoveList and Amazon in picking out the read-alikes.
Delete