Skip to main content

Secret Shopper Summary


I chose a rather large library away from my usual setting (besides, the librarians know me in our surrounding areas because this assignment is similar to other observations and interviews I’ve done), and felt a bit out of place. I must have come at an odd moment when the other librarians were taking their break or helping other patrons because I could only find the one librarian at the desk. 
She was kind and professional (exhibiting RUSA-touted listening behaviors) as she listened to my question, then followed up with some of her own. “Just any type of book?” Perhaps, one that would be relaxing, or help me get out of my own skin for awhile. “Fiction or non-fiction? Well, probably fiction.” I agreed.
She then pointed me to a section of shelving marked “Staff Picks”, and said I should look around there. I asked her if she could recommend anything in particular, but she said she hadn’t had much time recently for reading, though the reviewing librarians usually had good reasons for choosing which books went onto those shelves.
I did find some excellent books on the shelves she referred me to, and was gratified to find some of my favorite titles were there in very shabby, well-loved copies. There were classics interspersed with new bestsellers, fiction and nonfiction in a surprising variety of genres.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Next stop: MYSTERY

Week 11 Prompt

The change from printed book to ebook or audiobook does imply some shift in appeal factors; an ebook is no longer subject to possible restrictions on length because of the heaviness of the book (or portability, whether or not it will fit into a purse), and an audiobook may be limited in its appeal to readers because of the style of the narrator.   This change affects our knowledge of the genre because we can no longer make snap judgments based on the publishing company’s dustjackets, blurbs, or the physical attributes of the book (font, paper type, cover material, etc.) and does not allow for browsing a shelf as easily as has been done in the past. We must learn to browse electronically and make connections through online networks (GoodReads, YouTube, various bloggers, NoveList—just for a few examples!).   The fact that readers are able to change font, line spacing, color, etc. of an ebook could have an effect on the reader’s appeal but I think individual readers must

Next Stop: FANTASY