Skip to main content

Week 15 Prompt


I think the best way to market anything is by word of mouth. Personal recommendations, tailored by someone who knows you and how you go about furnishing the inside of your brain, are the way to go. A dedicated reader’s advisory librarian who is allowed to spend time talking to people and keeping up with what people like to read would fit the bill. Before I began to think of taking classes in library science, a friend of mine who was a librarian often magically found me books I loved and it was such a godsend, and a gift. Saricks’ idea of the signs pointing to the desk of a librarian with RA duties (Saricks 2005, p. 139) is a cheerful idea to me.

However, I sincerely doubt this to be practical. Having moved so often during my lifetime, I dislike having to do all the groundwork of getting to know staff before I find the book I’m looking for, and often staff has no time to spend with me as a reader. Sometimes librarians are quite simply not approachable people even though they may be technically very efficient. So perhaps passive programming is the way to go.

Bill Carrol’s presentation on passive readers’ advisory is inspired (Carroll, n.d.). And in the absence of a dedicated, personable RA librarian, these are the things that work on me as a reader. I surreptitiously take all the bookmarks and read my library’s social media feed on several platforms. I browse displays for seasonal material. 

Of course, I do hesitate to generalize my experience to the general public, even a specific population of patrons, but assessing/evaluating the types of passive programming that work in your particular library could be a good set of data to keep an eye on.


References:
Carrol, Bill. (n.d.) Don’t Talk to Me: Passive Readers’ Advisory. Retrieved from https://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/ld/c-d/continuing-ed/iloc/copy_of_iloc-2016/handouts/dont-talk-to-me/donttalktome.pdf

Saricks, J. (2005) Promoting and marketing readers’ advisory collections and services. In Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library. Chicago: ALA. 136-160

Comments

  1. Great prompt response! Word of mouth can be huge, especially in a small community! Great ideas :) Full points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Displays of librarians favorites are also a great way to get the word out about great books. Anytime we have a "staff favorites" display the books get checked out super fast!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Next stop: MYSTERY

Week 11 Prompt

The change from printed book to ebook or audiobook does imply some shift in appeal factors; an ebook is no longer subject to possible restrictions on length because of the heaviness of the book (or portability, whether or not it will fit into a purse), and an audiobook may be limited in its appeal to readers because of the style of the narrator.   This change affects our knowledge of the genre because we can no longer make snap judgments based on the publishing company’s dustjackets, blurbs, or the physical attributes of the book (font, paper type, cover material, etc.) and does not allow for browsing a shelf as easily as has been done in the past. We must learn to browse electronically and make connections through online networks (GoodReads, YouTube, various bloggers, NoveList—just for a few examples!).   The fact that readers are able to change font, line spacing, color, etc. of an ebook could have an effect on the reader’s appeal but I think individual readers must

Next Stop: FANTASY